Sunday, July 24, 2011

Nicotine



Cigarette was introduced to me
At a great, noisy, late night party,
A white sophisticated roll of paper,
She was pushed between my lips,
And I felt nice and stylish
As the lighter lit up
Both the cigarette and my face.

Initially, I coughed and hiccuped
As the smoke snaked into me,
But I wouldn't dare give up,
The challenge itself was glee,
In minutes I was cool,
The nicotine toned air made me drool.

An effort to try became a fun,
The fun turned to a habitual run,
The run became sheer addiction,
Before I knew it I was smitten,
I felt like a fool of first rate
When my lips did not sport a cigarette.

When I look back today
A shiver passes down my spine
I wonder why I had kissed nicotine
When I look back today
I also wonder why it took me
A decade, a strained love, stained teeth
And a lung disease to cast her away.

Note: Addiction isn't good in any form...And those are lucky who are able to get back in time.....