Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Black Pearls


Forty years ago,
A holiday in the snow,
Walking in the woods,
Digging my feet below,
I came across a tree,
Marked like an irritated witch,
With that attractive glitch,
I was drawn to it,
And as I stood by,
A string of Black Pearls
Fell over my head,
As if deliberately,
Aimed by some spy.

Oh, for the warmth,
And the daze,
Sheer beauty and glaze,
I touched it with my fingers,
And felt a surge
Of energy waves,
I looked around
For anyone who could
Tell me what
This was all about,
But when no one
Was to be seen,
I turned back,
And walked to
The holiday inn,
Looked myself in
The mirror, and
Found me to be
Twenty years younger!!

Was this the mantra,
Wear the Black Pearls
And you look
Pretty and young as ever,
With time I discovered it's power,
And played it the way
No one else could gather,
It was my life's secret,
To wear the pearls,
And never to grow
Old or to shred.

Taking advantage of
The dark miraculous string
of Black Pearls,
I rose to the stage of
Theatre and films,
Gathered name and fame,
I was 'the dame',
People came to see me,
To feel me and to know me,
Oh, what a craze I was,
At eighty, I looked
Young and wellfed,
A dashing beauty with brains,
I was a sought after maid.

But every night
When I was at last alone,
I would keep the
Black Pearls on the table,
Beside my bed,
And breathe easy,
Sleep like a baby,
Freshen up the next day,
Wear the Black Pearls,
And admire myself
In the mirror,
Get ready for a new day.

Somewhere down the line,
I had forgotten that I was a human,
Had done it all that there was to do,
Had seen it all that there was to see,
No one had loved me for I wasnt free,
My secret held me so hard,
I couldnt breathe about it to a soul,
Though the world knew me as smart,
I was getting tired of it all,
It was as beautiful world,
And more than a hundred years
On it did I stroll,
But suddenly, I wanted it all no more.

I wanted to be loved,
And just couldnt settle on that score,
Suddenly, life became a burden,
All this name and fame,
To hell with them,
Damn the bloody Black Pearls,
They had cheated me in this game,
For the greed of beauty and youth,
I had compromised on happiness,
Love and a life of truth.

Oh God! Forgive me so,
Turn back the clock,
Tread me on the snow,
Where I found those
Blasted Black Pearls,
But I was too tired to go,
So I pulled the Black Pearls
Out of my neck,
And for once and for all,
And flung them away
As far as they could go

Breathing was easier now,
The song of the birds
Hummed into my ears,
The butterflies, I noticed
Through my tears,
The music of flowing water
Beat into my soul,
Dear me, what else did I miss,
In all these years
That I have tread,
On this magnificent celestial bowl?

Death came to me with eternal charm,
After a week of deep spiritual calm,
I was glad to have learnt my lesson,
Nature has its course and plan,
I wish I had followed its norm,
And lived life in full form,
As my spirit left my body,
I looked back at it with glee,
There lay an old woman,
All gray and wrinkles,
Ugly she was,
And almost in shambles,
And yet, the peace on her face,
Stood her with grace.

We come into this earth,
All with a purpose,
Sticking to the way nature loves it,
Should be pleasure offered in full dose,
May no one ever find those
Black Pearls again,
May wisdom prevail
On every woman,
May love and longing be with them,
Who wants to remain a pretty dame.

Note: Darkness comes in many forms...